Tuesday, June 17, 2008

What is around the Corner

You never when you wake up in the morning how God is going to change your plans to His plans. So, I woke up this morning thinking I'd have lunch with some friends, study, go to my small group, then head home and go to bed.
Well, the beginning happened as I had thought, but while I was studying about 20 minutes before I had to be at my small group I had a student who really needed to talk. It was the type of talk that you knew to drop whatever you had planned to spend time with this person. I could not be with her because I was in Beverly, but we talked while I sat at starbucks. So, I ended up skipping my small group. Once we were done talking I was still at starbucks and my dear friend Sara showed up. We sat together for a while and as we were leaving a homeless woman asked for a ride to a shelter. Sara and I brought her to a shelter, but we did not know where we were going. We stopped at a few places trying to figure out where to go. The woman did not know where to go, she was not all there. I sensed some schizophrenia, but I am not a doctor. I ended up making several phone calls to people trying to figure out where we could take this lady. My fifth phone call I finally got someone who sat on the phone and gave us directions. -- Thank you Matt!
After we dropped the lady off Sara and I were thinking maybe that was not the best idea. I have to be honest the entire time I was pretty scared. I did not know anything about this lady. I feared that she was going to pull out a knife or something worse. But I kept thinking..."whatever you do to the least of these you do unto me." I am ashamed to say that we did not verbally share the gospel with her, but we showed her Christ's love. I also was realizing how thankful I am for what the Lord has given me. So many of those things I take for granted. For example, having a roof over my head, having food -- makes me think twice about being picky about what I eat, having clothing, my health, my family etc... Praise the LORD!

No comments: