Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Beginning Study of Paul

The Lord is amazing! He is always showing Himself in amazing ways. Anyone who knows me knows that I have a weakness for books. I love to buy books -- even though I often struggle to actually read them. Well, this past weekend I smartened up and began to read some of my books. I have also been studying Paul's epistles in my quiet time with the Lord. So, I thought reading Paul the Jewish Theologian would fit perfectly and would companion some of the sermons that I have been listening to about Paul. This book is fantastic! I mentioned at work yesterday that I was studying about Paul in a Jewish context and her response was, "But wait, wasn't he a Greek?" It was a wonderful opportunity to talk about and share my excitement for Paul's entire mission. Shortly after Paul's birth his parents brought him to the temple to learn the Jewish ways. He was a Pharisee. Pharisee's are Jewish. Paul was Jewish. So, why did God call him to minister to the non-Jews? That would be because of his heritage, the fact that he was born in Tarsus gave him Roman citizenship, but most importantly that he surrendered his life to Jesus and wanted to give his life to serving Him. Many speculate that he gave up all of his connections to the Pharisees and Judaism when he experienced the power of God, but there is NO proof any where in the word of God that he let go of his connections with Yahweh. In fact, in Acts 23 Paul announces that he is a Pharisee and that he is also the son of a pharisee. He is not ashamed of who He is. God used Paul as a bridge builder between those who are Jewish and those who are not. Also, as I continue to study more and more of Paul's epistles the amount Torah which he refers to is tremendous. Paul's Bible was the Torah and his theological framework came from what he has experience, was taught and in turn believed. Paul even writes in a circular fashion, which is typical of a Jewish theologian rather than one of western thought and influence. I could go on and on, but what made me really curious was seeing all the Jewishness all through out Paul's life and writings where did the idea's come from that this is not what Paul stood for or was convicted by. According to Young those beliefs would be attributed to Marcion who was a follower of Paul. He took the basic teachings of Paul and ran them through his own theological framework which, in turn, distorted Paul's message. The belief that the Old Testament is for the Jews only stems from his convictions. The idea that God's grace was only revealed in the New Testament. The belief that the Jewish people are despised by the Lord and doesn't hear the prayers of a Jews, and many other "christian beliefs" which are attributed to anti-semitist beliefs in the Pauline epistles is attributed to the interpretations by Marcion and not the word of God. It is amazing to me that so many years ago what one person said has influeced many generations and is still influencing them today. To go off on a slight tangant...If one man could take the truth and bend it. When walking in the footsteps of my Lord and Savior what could He use me to do? How could He use me to influence people and futher His truth in this lost world? As I continue my study of Paul I am encouraged to see and know that a faithful life of one can change the world.

No comments: