Sunday, July 6, 2008

Christ-like Humility

I recently watched the movie The Ultimate Gift. The story line is about a man who was very wealthy and he dies and his family is frustrated with the fact that he didn’t leave them his money. But there is one on his grandchildren that he planned several steps for and throughout these steps it caused him a life change. As I was watching this movie I Corinthians 13 kept running through my head. “Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.” I Corinthians 13:4-7 I began thinking about what it means for me to show love to others and what receiving love true love from others really means. Love is completely self-sacrificing. It’s not about what you can get, but what and how you give. So, I had these thoughts going through my head and then today I attended Church at Highrock in Arlington MA and one of their pastoral interns was preaching, Grant Buccholtz. He preached on Mark 10:35-45. He was focusing on greatness. Who do you think is great? As we continued to dig into the passage he was making the point that greatness is humility, service, and being a servant to all. I loved this quote that he said, “Humility is not thinking less of ourselves but rather thinking of ourselves less and thinking of others more.” He shared the story about a man, Ed Kimball, who taught Sunday school and he realized that in order to show love to his students he needed to put himself aside and sacrifice some of his time to visit them. He poured himself into his students. The student that you may know of is DL Moody and Moody took the same approach and one of his students was Billy Graham. This is the picture of discipleship with humility in the eyes and the ways of Jesus Christ. I pray that my life and yours will exhibit Christ-like humility and draw others into a relationship with the one and only Messiah!

No comments: